Check back soon for details on how to enter the 2022 award.
Entrants must submit illustrations for Corrinne Averiss’s text, Moon Mouse.
From his chalky home on the moon, Moon Mouse spends his long space days watching birthday parties on Earth through his space telescope. He loves the smiles, the laughter and being part of something from afar. But, one day, a birthday balloon floats away from its birthday boy and up, up, up… Will Moon Mouse find the courage to leave the comfort and security of his moon-based home to discover what it means to find a friend?
What are the judges looking for?
The judges are looking for a series of original and outstanding illustrations demonstrating competency and creativity in visual storytelling for children. The illustrations should show characterisation, continuity and progression, plus a range of emotion and pace appropriate to the text. Originally is key as is the consideration for text placement and page design.
1. The full text is split over 14 spreads and entrants are required to submit roughs for 10 spreads and final artwork for 4 spreads by Friday 16th April 2021. The text, with suggested page breaks, can be accessed on completion of the Registration form.
2. There is a choice of two formats for the finished book: 245mm x 245mm or 275mm (high) x 250mm (wide). Please choose the format most suited to your style.
3. Artwork must be created at 100% size, or up to 30% larger, allowing at least 5mm extra (after reduction) for any images that bleed.
4. Any medium may be used, but final artwork must be flat so it can be scanned. Illustrations with novelty elements or 3D structures will not be eligible.
5. Artwork can be supplied digitally but should be supplied as one low res pdf, file size to be no larger than 10MB. Please ensure file is labelled with your full name as follows: firstname_lastname.pdf. Note, original files should be created in high res – and retained as such – should your entry be successful and selected for print.
6. Text should be shown in black, either typed or handwritten, and should be removable (ie, supplied as a transparent or trace overlay). For digital entries, flattened text on PDF is acceptable, but original high res files should place text on a separate layer.
All queries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org